Slides: Mind Your Lang at London Web Standards
Tonight I had the pleasure of returning to London Web Standards to speak (I was there last April). I presented a deep dive into the
lang attribute, a topic for which developers have been begging for a deep dive. Or not.
Anyway, the slides as promised (or view the slides directly at Slideshare):
I was only one of two speakers. I link to the other speaker below in the tweets.
There was some Twitter activity, which I always appreciate.
.@aardrian is sharing great benefits of using the lang attribute in your HTML:
– In-browser spellcheck
– CSS selectors like ::first-letter
– Translation tools
– Font selection for CJK languages pic.twitter.com/XoJH5eKvy1
…more reasons to use lang:
– #a11y, e.g. to indicate parts of a page in different language to the rest
– Formatting delimiters in number fields
– Hyphens for splitting long words (using CSS hyphens: auto;)
– Quote marks (with <q> and <blockquote>)#lwsReturn
Really enjoyed @aardrian's talk on the #HTML lang attribute.
We need more talks like this – there are *so* many little-known benefits that HTML can give you "for free"!
Also, hearing VoiceOver speak English with a French accent was priceless!#lwsReturn @webstandards
@aardrian last night gave "The best talk about a single HTML attribute" lang="…"